Friday, November 5, 2010

My Love Story, Chapter four

I was off to Europe for the summer with my best friend.  If I had to spend my time doing something while I waited to be with Simon again, this was the best way to spend it. Lisa and I were off to Germany, Ireland, Slovakia, France, and England- I was going to be as distracted from missing Simon as I possibly could be, and that was a good thing.. except that I wasn't. Even though I was having an amazing time, I still missed Simon. He made it a bit easier, sending me sweet e-mails and letters to each country as soon as I arrived. He even sent me a sweater of his while I was in France because summer just wouldn't come (it never came, we recently picked it up from the post office in Sydney). It made no difference though, I was still upset. I hung out in clubs alone while Lisa met foreign, exotic men and fell asleep wishing Simon was falling asleep next to me.

Then it occurred to me, Simon was going to show up. It was just like something he would do.  He surprised me at my house in March when we barely knew each other, why wouldn't he do it now? So I kept my eyes open everywhere in case he jumped out from behind a corner. I made a task of bugging Lisa about it, in case she'd drop any hints. I whined to Simon constantly about how much I missed him and couldn't spend another second without him. But it wasn't happening. Simon wasn't hiding in the Memorial to the Murdered Jews, he wasn't strolling down the Champs Elysee, he wasn't  in Europe at all. By my last weekend in Paris, I realized he wasn't coming. Simon had a business trip in Melbourne and when he didn't show up 48 hours after he left, I realized that he wasn't showing up at all. I stopped looking for him, I stopped bothering Lisa, and got back to enjoying my trip before it was too late.

On June 18th, Lisa and I went for a picnic in the Parc de Belleville in Paris. We brought salads and chatted, mostly about how we missed our friends. After being there for about an hour, Lisa told me she invited somebody and hoped I didn't mind. I turned around and there he was. It was like a dream, Simon had shown up in Paris. Before I realized what I was doing, I was running and jumping into his arms. I hugged and kissed him for a few minutes before I even let him speak. When I finally gave him some room to breathe, he got down on one knee and started talking. In my rage of excitement, I have no idea what he said. But he asked me to marry him. Instead of answering, I sat right down on his lap and started kissing him more. Finally, it  dawned on me that his question required an answer and I said yes.

Lisa was there to take pictures of all of it. She also noticed that I was wearing horrible blue nail polish and brought remover and some nice nail polish to fix my fingers before we took pictures of the ring.

We spent the remainder of Simon's time in Paris together (48 hours.. he flew for 60, what a guy) drinking wine at the Eiffel Tower, eating pizza across from the Notre Dame, enjoying the view from the Sacre Couer-- it was an incredibly romantic weekend and I am the luckiest girl who ever lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment