Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Berghain: A Review

If any city knows how to party, its Berlin. I haven't been everywhere, but so far- Germany contains the craziest club heads of the 12 countries I've visited. A certain friend of ours, I won't name any names, told Lisa and I that Watergate was the best club in Berlin.. she didn't get in. This is shocking because she's one of the most beautiful girls I know; bouncers in Chicago let her into clubs immediately, even when there is a line of 50+ people. Anyways, we went to Watergate and it was incredible but not worth blogging about. The night we went, we kept hearing about The Berghain. Some quotes from the Germans:

"The Berghain is the craziest club you will ever go to. You will wait in line for 3 hours to get in, and it will be worth it!"

"When you go to the Berghain, they will not let you in in a dress. You must wear a man's shirt and jeans that DO NOT EVEN FIT YOU!"

It was our last night in Berlin, we were leaving the next morning at about 8am and decided we didn't need (and couldn't really afford) a room for the night. We moved our belongings to the storage room at our hostel, got ready in the closet, and took off for the night. We got to the Bergahain before it opened and joined the line of at least 200 people. The only point of reference for a line like this is Raging Bull at 6 Flags on a Saturday afternoon in July. When I saw this, I was not happy. Germany at 11pm in May is still really cold and I saw at least 60% of club-goers getting denied entry into this place. After waiting for about 2 hours, I was barely speaking to Lisa for making me wait in this line for a club we definitely weren't getting into. I have no idea how they chose who was allowed in, but I didn't actually believe we were cool enough to make the cut. When we got to the front of the line at about 1am, the bouncer shockingly let us in- even though both of our jeans fit us. We were inspected to nothing short of a full-cavity search. No cameras, camera phones, etc. were allowed but I saw lots of people doing cocaine in the bathroom so I imagine that drugs are not what they were searching for.

The club is like a gigantic warehouse, 2-stories and several bars. There are cubby-holes where you can see gay strangers having sex, the only piece of art in the entire place was a giant photograph of a man's butthole, people are half naked and grinding in ways I've never seen, and nobody is phased by any of this. This is how I imagine Lady Gaga partying. The Berghain's theme song should be "Scheisse" off her latest CD.

We danced until 6am. I met a lot of interesting people, saw at least 15 people doing cocaine off of various bathroom surfaces, and left my gum under a stool so that a piece of me will always be at the craziest place I have ever been to. When we left at 6am, it was light out and there was still a line of party-goers hoping the bouncer would let them in. We got a schawarma and hopped in a taxi to the airport.

I will never go to the Berghain again. I'm still in amazement that such a place exists. As hard as I try to describe it- I don't think you will ever understand unless you go yourself. Nothing particularly exciting happened to me while I was there; I danced, had a few drinks, and talked to Germans but I will never, ever forget it- that is the magnitude of this place. It was one of the most fun nights of my life and I am so glad that it happened, but I'm still surprised those bouncers let me in because I really didn't fit in there. I DO suggest that you try it. When you go to Berlin, it is worth the 2 hour wait, its worth seeing things that made you uncomfortable, and its worth being hungover on your flight to Ireland. Just hope the bouncer likes you.


Note: While I am open-minded and very accepting of other peoples' lifestyles, I do not and never have done a drug in my life. I don't condone it, nor do I condone public sex. That is not the point of this story- I, nor do you, need those things to have a great time and experience really interesting, fun things.

No comments:

Post a Comment